Sixth District Court of Appeals includes Erie, Fulton, Huron, Lucas, Ottawa, Sandusky, Williams and Wood Counties.
Official Website: VotePuff
- Facebook: PuffenbergerForJudge
To donate online:
To contribute by check, please make payable and mail to:
- Puffenberger Campaign Committee
2803 Barrington Drive
Toledo, OH 43606
Watch this video to meet Tom.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
CITY OF TOLEDO: February 2017 — present — Toledo, Ohio
- Senior Attorney in courtroom 3 handling felony arraignments and preliminary hearings.
- Lead counsel for civil trial work including discrimination cases.
- Draft and argue appellate cases on behalf of the city.
- Regularly appear in Lucas County Common Pleas Court, Toledo Municipal Court, and other outlying courts.
- Work with other municipalities to draft legislation.
SIXTH DISTRICT COURT OF APPEALS: July 2015 — February 2017 — Toledo, Ohio
- Reviewed the work of lower courts from Erie, Fulton, Huron, Lucas, Ottawa, Sandusky, Williams and Wood counties.
- Worked closely with the Honorable Judge Stephen A. Yarborough to discuss issues and decide cases.
- Drafted numerous published opinions.
- Edited the work of other staff attorneys.
- Worked efficiently with other staff attorneys and at one point in his tenure, Judge Yarbrough had no pending cases at a reporting period.
- Left the Court of Appeals when Judge Yarborough was precluded from running for re-election due to his age.
LUCAS COUNTY PROSECUTOR’S OFFICE: May 2010 — July 2015 — Toledo, Ohio
- Worked in the juvenile division from May 2010 — April 2014; and the adult criminal division thereafter.
- Represented the State of Ohio in matters ranging from traffic tickets to first degree felonies.
- Successfully completed over twenty trials and countless other hearings.
LUCAS COUNTY PUBLIC DEFENDER: April 2010 — May 2010; November 2008 — January 2009 — Toledo, Ohio
Assistant Public Defender
- Provided juvenile defendants with knowledgeable legal representation.
- Worked with juveniles and families to resolve criminal cases.
WAGONER & STEINBERG LTD.: January 2009 — April 2010 — Holland, OH
- Mentored by John E. Wagoner in several areas of the law including Medicaid issues, complex and simple estate planning, real estate sales and closings, formation of business entities, stock transfers, corporate record keeping, employment contracts, guardianships, opening and administering estates, etc.
MCHUGH & MCCARTHY LTD.: July 2007 — November 2008 — Sylvania, OH
- Assisted Senior Partners in various civil litigation matters.
- Provided detailed legal research and analysis.
*RECEIVED A PASSING SCORE ON THE JULY, 2007 OHIO BAR EXAM*
SWORN IN BY THE OHIO SUPREME COURT ON NOVEMBER 5, 2007
|THE UNIVERSITY OF TOLEDO
|August 2004 – May 2007||Toledo, Ohio|
Bachelor of Arts
|August 2000- May 2004||Granville, Ohio|
|OTTAWA HILLS HIGH SCHOOL
|August 1996-June 2000||Toledo, Ohio|
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT — CURRENT BOARDS
- Pat Miller Foundation Board Member
- Toledo PAL Board Member
- Old Newsboys Goodfellows Association Scholarship Committee
- Member Ottawa Hills Joint Recreation Board Member
- Toledo Bar Association
- Lucas County Bar Association
- Old Newsboys Goodfellows Association Lifetime Member
- West Toledo Democrats
- Lucas County Young Democrats
- Four Children