Officers, Committees & Committee Chairs
*President (2022-2023) – Margaret M. Murray
*Vice-President (2022-2023) – Darlene Walk
*Secretary (2021-2022) – Lisa R. DeVerna
*Treasurer (2021-2022) – Diane L. Schaefer
*Membership Secretary (2022-2023) – Tracy Francis
Chaplain – Ann Cerny
*Political Action Chair – Barbara Cicalese
*Publicity – Florence Murray
Scholarship Chair – Charlene Adams
*Social Chair – Dot Windau
Voter Registration and Membership Drive – (open)
*Ways & Means Chair – Karen Walderzak* = Member of the Executive Committee
Christmas Dinner Committee – (open)
Social Committee – Dot Windau, Florence Murray, Darlene Walk
Dinner/Meeting Telephone – Connie Porter
Nominating Committee – Tracy Francis, Florence Murray, Mary Zuk
Picnic Committee – (open)
Political Action Committee – (open)
Scholarship Committee – Charlene Adams, Tracy Francis,
Lisa DeVerna, Debbie Nickoloff, Yvette Rankins
Ways & Means Committee – (open)
The Constitution and Bylaws of the Democratic Women of Erie County:
- DWEC Constitution and Bylaws – 6.20.2021
The purpose of our organization:
- To perpetuate the principles of American democracy;
- To promote citizen interest in governmental activities in order to influence the course of government – on the local, state, and federal levels;
- To advocate the ideals of the Democratic Party;
- To encourage the interest of women in governmental activities.
“WE SUPPORT OUR DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES”
Our meetings are the third Monday of the month at the Holiday Inn Express which is located within the Cedar Corners Complex (at the corner of Cedar Point Causeway and Cleveland Road). Doors open at 5:00 pm. Dinner is served at 5:30 pm, followed by our program (when scheduled) at 6:15 pm and the business meeting at 6:45 pm. Guest Speakers are scheduled for program meetings. If no program is scheduled, the business meeting will begin at approximately 6:15 pm.
We have special events throughout the year, also held on the third Monday at various locations. Prior notification is provided via e-mail and/or U.S. Postal Service.
Please visit EVENTS – Democratic Women of Erie County for meetings and special events information.
Men are welcome as Associate Members.
Click HERE for Membership Form – 2022
Regular – $15.00/year
Senior – $10.00/year – 62 years and older
Associate – $15.00/year – Men
Democratic Women of Erie County
The Democratic Women of Erie County will be awarding $500.00 scholarships to local female residents who demonstrate the principles of the Democratic Party. The purpose of the scholarships is to stimulate interest in and to create involvement in local, state and national government.
If you are interested in helping make dreams come true, please make a donation to the Dorothy Deering Memorial Scholarship Fund. You will find a donation form here. Thank You in advance for your support!
2023 ESSAY TOPIC:
- What steps do you feel are necessary to engage the Millennial and Gen Z voters, and to encourage their enthusiasm and participation in not only the upcoming elections, but also in running for local or state political office?
REQUIREMENTS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Erie County, Ohio female resident
- GPA minimum of 3.0
- Scholarship is restricted to an accredited institution of higher learning
- 250-500 word essay is required
- Registered to Vote if Age Permits
- Registered at 17 years old, if applicant will be 18 years old on the day of the November 14, 2023 Election
- Available to Attend the Democratic Women of Erie County Meeting
- Monday, June 19, 2023
- Introduction of the Scholarship recipient, reading of the essay and presentation of DWEC Scholarship certificate and check
- The essay must be typed on white paper and double spaced.
- The applicant’s first name should appear at the top right corner of each page. Entries will be evaluated on the basis of clarity, organization, grammar and presentation.
- Please complete the cover page and submit it with your essay and a school transcript to: Charlene Adams, 1518 Pearl Street, Sandusky, OH 44870
- The essay must be postmarked no later than Friday, February 24, 2023. We allow 10 days for delivery.
Any questions, please contact:
To print out cover page, requirements, essay topic and contact information, please click on links below:
- DWofEC – 2023 Scholarship – Cover Page – PDF Format
- 2023 Essay and Requirements for the DWEC Dorothy Deering Memorial Scholarship– PDF Format
2022 Scholarship Recipients
Emma Lynch – University of Findlay
Emma Lynch, a 2022 graduate of Perkins High School, will be attending University of Findlay and will be majoring in Operations and Logistics. Emma graduated with a 4.4125 GPA and ranked number 1 out of the 155 students in her class.
During her years attending high school, she actively participated in Model UN and Mock Trial. The 2021/2022 Mock Trial team was the first Perkins High School team to qualify for the State competition. Emma was awarded outstanding attorney all 4 years of competition at the district level, along with the regional level during her Senior year. She also volunteered at Court 1 Tennis on a weekly basis, assisting with children ages 5 through 10, acting as an aide to children with disabilities. Emma spent additional time participating in school organizations that focus on community and peer service, such as Move 2 Stand/Anti-bullying training, Bio Club and the National Honor Society.
Kierra Nickelson, a 2022 graduate of Sandusky High School, will be attending The University of Toledo. Kierra plans to major in Biology and to pursue a career in medicine. Kierra graduated with a 4.376 GPA and ranked number 2 out of 242 students in her class.
Kierra was a member of the National Honor Society, the Global Internship Experience and was also selected by teachers and counselors to be a student representative in the Superintendent’s Executive Leadership Academy. The students meet monthly with the school Superintendent and share their concerns and ideas. In addition to also helping with the Sandusky High School Blood Drive, Kierra was involved with the Chick-Fil-A Impact Leadership Program, which promotes impact through action, empowering young people to make a difference. Kierra enjoyed high school volleyball and was the captain of her freshman team.
Bakeless Bake Sale
Proceeds support the Dorothy Deering
Memorial Scholarship Fund
But we’re going to do it a different way.
No raiding the cookbook for something to bake,
No creampuffs, brownies, cookies or cake.
No blending, no stirring, no oven heat.
No toppings, no icings…Just get off your feet!
Your nerves stay unruffled; your kitchen stays neat.
And feel quite sure you will understand.
In your envelope, please put the price
Of a pie, cake or something nice.
Without fuss or bother, you have done your part.
We are sure you will give with a willing heart.
This is the end of our little tale
Wishing success for our bakeless bake sale.
If you would like to donate, please mail a check payable to:
Democratic Women of Erie County, ATTN: Treasurer
P.O. Box 1044, Sandusky 44871-1044
bring your contribution to a monthly meeting
and give to Diane Schaefer, Treasurer
Proceeds go to our Dorothy Deering Scholarship Fund.
Thank You for your support!
Paid for and authorized by the Democratic Women of Erie County
Diane L. Schaefer, Treasurer, P.O. Box 1044, Sandusky 44871-1044