Strickfaden Park | 318 Bell Avenue | Sandusky/Perkins Township
Monday, September 18, 2023 | 6:00pm
Candidates for the following positions have been invited:
Sandusky City Schools
Huron City Council | Huron City Schools
We will have cider and doughnuts available to enjoy.
Any questions, please contact Margaret M. Murray:
To stay up to date on meeting locations and events,
please refer to Facebook page.
Members: Please pay your 2023 dues if you have not yet done so.
Use this form here to submit your dues.
Visit here for an application form.
Dorothy Deering Memorial Scholarship
presented by the
Democratic Women of Erie County
Your donations fund the scholarship fund.
The donation form can be found here.
The Democratic Women of Erie County will be awarding scholarships to local female residents who demonstrate the principles of the Democratic Party. The purpose of the scholarships is to stimulate interest in and to create involvement in local, state and national government.
If you are interested in helping make dreams come true, please make a donation to the Dorothy Deering Memorial Scholarship Fund. You will find a donation form here. Thank You in advance for your support!
2023 ESSAY TOPIC:
- What steps do you feel are necessary to engage the Millennial and Gen Z voters, and to encourage their enthusiasm and participation in not only the upcoming elections, but also in running for local or state political office?
REQUIREMENTS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Erie County, Ohio female resident
- GPA minimum of 3.0
- Scholarship is restricted to an accredited institution of higher learning
- 250-500 word essay is required
- Registered to Vote if Age Permits
- Registered at 17 years old, if applicant will be 18 years old on the day of the November 14, 2023 Election
- Available to Attend the Democratic Women of Erie County Meeting
- Monday, June 19, 2023
- Introduction of the Scholarship recipient, reading of the essay and presentation of DWEC Scholarship certificate and check
- The essay must be typed on white paper and double spaced.
- The applicant’s first name should appear at the top right corner of each page. Entries will be evaluated on the basis of clarity, organization, grammar and presentation.
- Please complete the cover page and submit it with your essay and a school transcript to: Charlene Adams, 1518 Pearl Street, Sandusky, OH 44870
- The essay must be postmarked no later than Friday, March 24, 2023.
- We allow 10 days for delivery.
Any questions, please contact:
To print out cover page, requirements, essay topic and contact information, please click on links below:
- DWofEC – 2023 Scholarship – Cover Page – PDF Format
- 2023 Requirements and Essay for the DWEC Dorothy Deering Memorial Scholarship – PDF Format
2023 Scholarship Recipients
The four 2023 DWEC Dorothy Deering Memorial Scholarship recipients, are all outstanding students, are members of the National Honor Society, volunteered in school mentoring programs such as Link Crew and Clothe-A-Child, and participated in Varsity sports ranging from tennis, track (shot put, discus, and hurdles) cross country, and springboard diving. Please see the following information per recipient:
Bowling Green State University – Firelands Campus
University of Michigan
Anisha Chopra, a 2023 graduate of Sandusky High School, received an Associate Degree of Science from Bowling Green State University. Anisha will be attending the University of Michigan majoring in Pre-Med with a focus on Neuroscience.
University of Toledo
Anna Gasser, a 2023 graduate of Margaretta High School, will be attending the University of Toledo. Anna will be majoring in Bioengineering with a focus on Science and Math.
The Ohio State University
Emma LaFollette, a 2023 graduate of Margaretta High School, will be attending The Ohio State University. Emma will be majoring in Pre-Law with a focus on Humanities and Political Science.
Bakeless Bake Sale
Proceeds support the Dorothy Deering
Memorial Scholarship Fund
But we’re going to do it a different way.
No raiding the cookbook for something to bake,
No creampuffs, brownies, cookies or cake.
No blending, no stirring, no oven heat.
No toppings, no icings…Just get off your feet!
Your nerves stay unruffled; your kitchen stays neat.
And feel quite sure you will understand.
In your envelope, please put the price
Of a pie, cake or something nice.
Without fuss or bother, you have done your part.
We are sure you will give with a willing heart.
This is the end of our little tale
Wishing success for our bakeless bake sale.
If you would like to donate, please mail a check payable to:
Democratic Women of Erie County, ATTN: Treasurer
P.O. Box 1044, Sandusky 44871-1044
bring your contribution to a monthly meeting
and give to Diane Schaefer, Treasurer
Thank You for your support!
Click HERE for Membership Form
Join Us! You’ll be glad you did!!
Officers, Committees & Committee Chairs
*President (2018-2023) – Margaret M. Murray
*Vice-President (2022-2023) – Darlene Walk
*Secretary (2017-2024) – Lisa R. DeVerna
*Treasurer (2015-2024) – Diane L. Schaefer
*Membership Secretary (2022-2023) – Tracy Francis
*Parliamentarian – Open
Note: Outside audit for 2023 will be conducted
Chaplain – Ann Cerny
Christmas Dinner Committee – (open)
Note: Christmas Dinner Committee appointed in September
*Constitution & Bylaws Committee –Sandra L. Brown (Chair),
Diane Hahler-Johnson, Karen Walderzak
Membership Drive Committee – (open)
Nominating Committee – Tracy Francis, Florence Murray, Mary Zuk
Picnic Committee – Lisa DeVerna, Margaret Murray, Karen Walderzak
Political Action Committee – Barbara Cicalese (Chair)
*Publicity Committee – Florence Murray
Scholarship Committee– Charlene Adams (Chair), Tracy Francis,
Lisa DeVerna, Debbie Nickoloff, Yvette Rankins
*Social Committee – Marcia Kingsley (Chair)
*Voter Registration Committee – (open)
Ways & Means Committee – Karen Walderzak (Chair), Tracee Duncan, Diane Taylor
* = Indicates member of Executive Committee
Paid for and authorized by the Democratic Women of Erie County
Diane L. Schaefer, Treasurer, P.O. Box 1044, Sandusky 44871-1044