The Democratic Women of Erie County
Monday June 20, 2022 | 6:00pm
Strickfaden Park | 318 Bell Avenue, Sandusky 44870
Emma Lynch – Perkins High School
University of Findlay
Kierra Nickelson – Sandusky High School
University of Toledo
The two scholarship recipients will be reading their essays.
Coffee and Cupcakes will be available.
Members: Please pay your 2022 dues if you have not yet done so.
Would you like to join us? Visit here for an application form.
information will be posted accordingly!
Dorothy Deering Memorial Scholarship
presented by the
Democratic Women of Erie County
Proceeds from the 50/50 held during meetings
will fund the scholarship fund.
The Democratic Women of Erie County will be awarding $500.00 scholarships to local female residents who demonstrate the principles of the Democratic Party. The purpose of the scholarships is to stimulate interest in and to create involvement in local, state and national government.
If you are interested in helping make dreams come true, please make a donation to the Dorothy Deering Memorial Scholarship Fund. You will find a donation form here. Thank You in advance for your support!
REQUIREMENTS ARE AS FOLLOWS
- Erie County, Ohio female resident
- GPA minimum of 3.0
- Scholarship is restricted to an accredited institution of higher learning
- 250-500 word essay is required
- Registered to Vote if Age Permits
- Registered at 17 years old, if applicant will be 18 years old on the day of the November 8, 2022 Election
- Available to Attend the Democratic Women of Erie County Meeting
- June 20, 2022: Introduction of the Scholarship recipient and reading of the essay, and presentation of DWEC Scholarship certificate and check
2022 ESSAY TOPIC:
- Do you believe that there should be term limits established for the United States Senators and Members of the House of Representatives to match the two terms of four years, as set forth for the United States President? Whether your answer is yes or no, please list the reasons why you feel your answer currently does, or would in the future, provide positive results for the United States of America.
- Please be specific in your reasons, including information pertaining to current or future legislation, and any other entities such as; the environment, medical care, the education or political systems, or a specific group of individuals or an organization. You may use science, history, political references, campaign finance information, along with any other notable resource.
- The essay must be typed on white paper and double spaced.
- The applicant’s first name should appear at the top right corner of each page. Entries will be evaluated on the basis of clarity, organization, grammar and presentation.
- Please complete the cover page and submit it with your essay and a school transcript to: Charlene Adams, 1518 Pearl Street, Sandusky, OH 44870
- The essay must be postmarked no later than Friday, March 11, 2022. We allow 10 days for delivery.
Any questions, please contact:
To print out cover page, requirements, essay topic and contact information, please click on links below:
- DWofEC – 2022 Scholarship – Cover Page – PDF Format
- 2022 Requirements and Essay for the DWEC Dorothy Deering Memorial Scholarship – PDF Format
2022 Scholarship Recipients
Emma Lynch – University of Findlay
Emma Lynch, a 2022 graduate of Perkins High School, will be attending University of Findlay and will be majoring in Operations and Logistics. Emma graduated with a 4.4125 GPA and ranked number 1 out of the 155 students in her class.
During her years attending high school, she actively participated in Model UN and Mock Trial. The 2021/2022 Mock Trial team was the first Perkins High School team to qualify for the State competition. Emma was awarded outstanding attorney all 4 years of competition at the district level, along with the regional level during her Senior year. She also volunteered at Court 1 Tennis on a weekly basis, assisting with children ages 5 through 10, acting as an aide to children with disabilities. Emma spent additional time participating in school organizations that focus on community and peer service, such as Move 2 Stand/Anti-bullying training, Bio Club and the National Honor Society.
Kierra Nickelson, a 2022 graduate of Sandusky High School, will be attending The University of Toledo. Kierra plans to major in Biology and to pursue a career in medicine. Kierra graduated with a 4.376 GPA and ranked number 2 out of 242 students in her class.
Kierra was a member of the National Honor Society, the Global Internship Experience and was also selected by teachers and counselors to be a student representative in the Superintendent’s Executive Leadership Academy. The students meet monthly with the school Superintendent and share their concerns and ideas. In addition to also helping with the Sandusky High School Blood Drive, Kierra was involved with the Chick-Fil-A Impact Leadership Program, which promotes impact through action, empowering young people to make a difference. Kierra enjoyed high school volleyball and was the captain of her freshman team.
Bakeless Bake Sale
Proceeds support the Dorothy Deering
Memorial Scholarship Fund
But we’re going to do it a different way.
No raiding the cookbook for something to bake,
No creampuffs, brownies, cookies or cake.
No blending, no stirring, no oven heat.
No toppings, no icings…Just get off your feet!
Your nerves stay unruffled; your kitchen stays neat.
And feel quite sure you will understand.
In your envelope, please put the price
Of a pie, cake or something nice.
Without fuss or bother, you have done your part.
We are sure you will give with a willing heart.
This is the end of our little tale
Wishing success for our bakeless bake sale.
If you would like to donate, please mail a check payable to:
Democratic Women of Erie County, ATTN: Treasurer
P.O. Box 1044, Sandusky 44871-1044
bring your contribution to a monthly meeting
and give to Diane Schaefer, Treasurer
Thank You for your support!
Click HERE for Membership Form
Join Us! You’ll be glad you did!!
Officers, Committees & Committee Chairs
*President (2022-2023) – Margaret M. Murray
*Vice-President (2022-2023) – Darlene Walk
*Secretary (2021-2022) – Lisa R. DeVerna
*Treasurer (2021-2022) – Diane L. Schaefer
*Membership Secretary (2022-2023) – Tracy Francis
Chaplain – Ann Cerny
*Political Action Chair – Barbara Cicalese
*Publicity – Florence Murray
Scholarship Chair – Charlene Adams
*Social Chair – Dot Windau
Voter Registration and Membership Drive – (open)
*Ways & Means Chair – Karen Walderzak* = Member of the Executive Committee
Christmas Dinner Committee – (open)
Social Committee – Dot Windau, Florence Murray, Darlene Walk
Dinner/Meeting Telephone – Connie Porter
Nominating Committee – Tracy Francis, Florence Murray, Mary Zuk
Picnic Committee – (open)
Political Action Committee – (open)
Scholarship Committee – Charlene Adams, Tracy Francis,
Lisa DeVerna, Debbie Nickoloff, Yvette Rankins
Ways & Means Committee – (open)
Paid for and authorized by the Democratic Women of Erie County
Diane L. Schaefer, Treasurer, P.O. Box 1044, Sandusky 44871-1044